Class A – development under local or private Acts or Order


private actsWe will not be expanding upon Class A, which for development authorised by private Acts of Parliament, both Houses of Parliament or under Harbours Act 1964, within Planning Geek at this time.

The legislation can be found below. If you need the guidance of Planning Geek in the process for Class A, please contact us for any assistance or book a Zoom call today.





Class A – development under local or private Acts or Order

Permitted development

A. Development authorised by—

(a) a local or private Act of Parliament,

(b) an order approved by both Houses of Parliament, or

(c) an order under section 14 or 16 of the Harbours Act 1964 (orders for securing harbour efficiency etc, and orders conferring powers for improvement, construction etc of harbours),

which designates specifically the nature of the development authorised and the land upon which it may be carried out.


A.1 Development is not permitted by Class A if it consists of or includes—
(a) the erection, construction, alteration or extension of any building, bridge, aqueduct, pier or dam; or

(b) the formation, laying out or alteration of a means of access to any highway used by vehicular traffic,

unless the prior approval of the appropriate authority to the detailed plans and specifications is first obtained.

A.2 The prior approval referred to in paragraph A.1 is not to be refused by the appropriate authority nor are conditions to be imposed unless they are satisfied that—

(a) the development (other than the provision of or works carried out to a dam) ought to be and could reasonably be carried out elsewhere on the land; or

(b) the design or external appearance of any building, bridge, aqueduct, pier or dam would injure the amenity of the neighbourhood and is reasonably capable of modification to avoid such injury.

Interpretation of Class A

A.3 For the purposes of Class A, “appropriate authority” means—

(a) in Greater London or a metropolitan county, the local planning authority;

(b) in a National Park, outside a metropolitan county, the county planning authority; and

(c) in any other case, the district planning authority.

Local or private acts development Page Updated: 16th August 2023