Property on Fire Podcast

Part 3: Changes of use not requiring planning permission

Changes of use approved
Part 3 of the General Permitted Development Order 2015 (GPDO) relates to the changes of use.

However not all changes of use requires the use of the GPDO.

Planning permission is not needed when the existing and the proposed uses fall within the same ‘use class’, or if The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (as amended) (GPDO) says that changes of use is permitted to another specified ‘use class’.

For example, a greengrocer’s shop could be changed to a shoe shop without the need for planning permission as these uses fall within the same ‘use class’, and a restaurant could be changed to a shop or a estate agency as the GPDO allows this type of change to occur without requiring planning permission.

Whilst a change of use might not need permission, any external building work associated with a change of use may still require planning permission.

The tables mentioned below of permanent changes in Schedule 2 Part 3 simplifies the complex legislation and should be read as a guide only, and in conjunction with the additional comments and restrictions on both those pages and also within each separate class within Part 3.  In addition to the permanent permissions within Part 3, there are a number of temporary changes in Schedule 2 Part 4 these are covered here.

We have two quick reference tables to assist you in changes of use via the GPDO. 

1 – Changes of use via use class – see what options exist for your building in a particular use class

2 – Where you can use the GPDO to change the use. Can you use in a Conservation Area or AONB for example? 

The various Classes with Part 3 are as follows:

Class A – restaurants, cafes, or takeaways to retail
Class AA – drinking establishments with expanded food provision
Class B – takeaways to restaurants and cafes
Class C – retail, betting office or pay day loan shop or casino to restaurant or cafe
Class D – shops to financial and professional
Class E – financial and professional or betting office or pay day loan shop to shops
Class F – betting offices or pay day loan shops to financial and professional
Class G – retail or betting office or pay day loan shop to mixed use
Class H – mixed use to retail
Class I – industrial and general business conversions
Class J – retail or betting office or pay day loan shop to assembly and leisure
Class JA – retail, takeaway, betting office, pay day loan shop, and launderette uses to offices
Class K – casinos to assembly and leisure
Class L – small HMOs to dwellinghouses and vice versa
Class M – retail, takeaways and specified sui generis uses to dwellinghouses
Class N – specified sui generis uses to dwellinghouses
Class O – offices to dwellinghouses
Class P – storage or distribution centre to dwellinghouses (now defunct)
Class PA – premises in light industrial use to dwellinghouses (now defunct)
Class Q – agricultural buildings to dwellinghouses
Class R – agricultural buildings to a flexible commercial use
Class S – agricultural buildings to state-funded school or registered nursery
Class T – business, hotels etc to state-funded schools or registered nursery
Class U – return to previous use from converted state-funded school or registered nursery
Class V – changes of use permitted under a permission granted on an application
Paragraph W – procedure for submitting an application
Paragraph X – definition of words and descriptions used within Part 3


This page was last updated on 15th August 2020 to reflect the latest changes to the GPDO.

Have you joined our Facebook Community yet? 


Do you need help with a property? Unsure what to do next? 


Book a 30 minute or hour Zoom session with Ian - The Planning Geek to discuss the opportunity that is before you.  Click here to book a time that is convenient for your diary. You could be talking to Ian today! 

Starts at just £147

'Full of content'
- Mark from Enfield

'Well worth the small cost - saved me hundreds in the long run, going down the wrong hole!'
- Louise from Clapham

Wow! Ian really is a Geek when it comes to property - so glad we booked an hour'
- Paul & Jo from Newcastle


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!