Use class of buildings in EnglandUse Classes within England

All buildings fall under a Use Class as defined in the The Town and Country Planning (Use ClassesOrder 1987 (as amended). However there is not a list of use classes within this country. Please do not reply upon apps to tell you either, as these are woefully out of date. Please note that the link above will show the use classes when they were introduced in 1987 and not how they are now. 

These are divided into five sections. These are businesses which primarily serve people, businesses which supply or support others, locations where people sleep, locations where they don’t and a category for those locations which are unique in themselves.

Now that that is clear!  We will list out each section in turn with as many examples as possible to avoid confusion.

Click on the respective parts to see locations contained within them……

Part A – locations that serve people
Part B – business that supply people
Part C – locations where people sleep
Part D – locations where they don’t
Sui Generis – everything else!

Where a property is in two use classes – then it will be classed as sui generis. The one exception is a building with B1 & B2 use as long as the section allocated to B2 is not substantially increased.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!