Use Class C1 – Hotels

Use Class C1 of the Use Classes Order 1987 (as amended) is for the use as hotels.

The full description is use as a hotel or as a boarding or guest house where, in each case, no significant element of care is provided. This does not include hostels which are sui generis.

This could include Bed & Breakfast establishments (B&B). Also included in Use Class C1 would be apart-hotels.


Use Class C1

Permitted Development Changes for Use Class C1

There are not any permitted development rights to go from or to C1 from/to any other use class. This would require planning permission. The one exception to this is the rarely used Class T to go from a C2 to a state funded school. Maybe it has been used once, who knows?!

However, there are proposals to allow C1 to be converted to residential. We do not know when this might happen. Details of that proposal can be found here.

If you require assistance with planning permission please either request a free fee proposal, or book a Zoom call with Ian, the founder of Planning Geek. Our team of planning consultants are here to help.


Examples for Use Class C1

According to the Planning Geek directory of uses, C1 includes Aparthotels, Bed & Breakfast, Boarding houses, Guest Houses, Hotels and maybe Serviced Accommodation / Short-term Holiday Lets depending upon the local authority. Some LPAs treat SA as C1, others C3 and other Sui Generis. This may be resolved once C5 is introduced. Details of C5 can be found here.



Page Updated: 20th January 2024