Commercial Conference

The Town and Country Planning (General Development) Order 1948

 

The first General Development Order or GDO as it was then, was introduced in 1948. So not long after the end of the Second World War. This order applied to the whole of England and Wales.

The Town and Country Planning (General Development) Order 1948

A lot of what we still see today was introduced in 1948, such as outbuildings up to 10 feet high and less than 1,000 cubic feet in volume. Gates, fences and walls were allowed up to 7 feet tall. 

Just two changes of use existed: Light industrial from general industrial and a shop from a fried fish shop, tripe shop, pet shop or a cats-meat shop. This was in the days before tinned meat!

Temporary uses of land for up to 28 days was introduced as well, and is still intact today.

The 1948 GDO contained just 21 classes using Roman numerals. Which included repairing war damaged buildings.

SI 1948/958 was laid before Parliament on 6th May 1948 and came into operation on 1st July 1948.

You can view the original version here.

There were two amendments  of the GDO 1948, but we do not have copies of these yet. 

SI 1949/195 – The Town and Country Planning (General Development) Amendment Order 1949
SI 1949/2306 – The Town and Country Planning (General Development) Amendment (No.2) Order 1949

This order was replaced by The Town and Country Planning General Development Order and Development Charge Applications Regulations 1950. Easy to remember!  

 

Other revisions of the GDO or GPDO

 

 

 

 

Updated: 28th November 2023

<