Average summer daily traffic (ASDT) is the total volume of vehicle traffic, seven days a week in the summer, on a road or motorway for a year divided by the number days in the summer. ASDT is a useful and simple measurement of how busy a road is during the summer season. The ASDT traffic data can be used for:
- selecting a new site or business location
- evaluating a site for development
- determining funding for highway maintenance and improvement
- forecasting road maintenance needs and expenditure
- identifying the best location for your business based on traffic patterns
- analysing the environmental hazards of pollution related to road transport
This is usually used by Highways departments of the local authority and Highways England, Scotland etc.